Keto Southern Shakshuka KETO BREAKFAST RECIPES
This powerfully tasty spin on shakshuka oven poaches eggs in collard greens, tomatoes, and jalapeno. It’s topped off with creamy goat cheese and makes a great breakfast to kickstart your day. This one-pan southern shakshuka makes for quick preparation and even faster cleanup.
The collard greens and tomato make a hearty base for the poached eggs. I don’t know about you, but poaching eggs in boiling water can feel a little intimidating. That’s why I love this method for making them in the oven with the sauce.
Yields 6 servings of Keto Southern Shakshuka.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cups chopped collard greens
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, minced
- ½ medium green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 6 large eggs
- 4 ounces goat cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 425F, and preheat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the olive oil and once it’s hot add in the collard greens, onion, jalapeno, green bell pepper, and garlic. Cook this down until soft then add in the paprika, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
3. Stir in the crushed tomatoes then continue cooking until the sauce is nice and hot. Turn off the heat.
4. Use a spoon to create wells in the sauce, then crack an egg into each.
5. Place the skillet into the oven and bake for 5 minutes or so, until the egg whites are set.
6. Crumble the goat cheese over the top to serve.
This makes a total of 6 servings of Keto Southern Shakshuka. Each serving comes out to be 291.45 Calories, 19.14g Fats, 11.94g Net Carbs, and 15.17g Protein.
|Keto Southern Shakshuka||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|¼ cup olive oil||477||54||0||0||0||0|
|3 cups chopped collard greens||188||4.1||32||23||9||15|
|1 medium yellow onion||41||0.2||9.5||1.3||8.2||1.3|
|1 medium jalapeño pepper||4.1||0.1||0.9||0.4||0.5||0.1|
|½ medium green bell pepper||16||0.1||3.8||0.7||3.1||0.5|
|4 cloves garlic||18||0.1||4||0.3||3.3||0.8|
|1 tablespoon paprika||19||0.9||3.7||2.4||1.3||1|
|½ teaspoon red pepper flakes||2.8||0.1||0.5||0.2||0.3||0.1|
|28 ounces crushed tomatoes||254.8||2.2||58.8||15.1||43.7||12.9|
|6 large eggs||429||29||2.2||0||2.2||38|
|4 ounces goat cheese||299||24||0||0||0||21|